I’ve been happily natural for nine years now and one piece of advice I have for anyone planning to take that journey- don’t become a product junkie! Last year I purged a good load of half-used products that had been taking up space for years. I’m now proud to say I only have one shelf full. And that shelf also includes bobby pins, hair bands, combs, brushes and what not. So it’s pretty condensed down. But what I’ve found is you go out and buy bottles and tubs of various products because your favorite YouTuber (who may or may not have the same hair texture, porosity, or density) said this product gave them the greatest twistout or wash’n’go. And suddenly you go from a product drawer to a product closet within months! So find what works for you and your hair and its health. And by all means style the heck out of it if you want. Here are my top 5 favorite hair care brands that work for me, listed from least expensive to more expensive. ***This is not a sponsored post***
1. Garnier Fructis- Specifically the Triple Nutrition line. For all those diehard organic-only, no sulfates, or –cones naturals this may not be for you J. But starting at $3.99 this product line was what I started with back in 2007 after I big chopped and it has been great for my hair ever since. They changed the color of the bottle from green to this bright yellow but it still gives my hair the clean feel without being drying. And the conditioner gives great slip!
2. Crème of Nature with Argan Oil from Morocco- Now here’s one for those that don’t like sulfates! The Moisture and Shine Shampoo starts around $4.86 at Walgreens and is truly one of the most moisturizing shampoos I’ve ever used for under $9! And the Intensive Conditioning Treatment is the same price and wonderful. I remember being in a bind while traveling and needed to wash my hair from an old style. I was able to find both of these products in the local grocery.
3. Dark and Lovely ®- Specifically the Au Naturale Anti Shrinkage Curl Defining Crème Glaze. Ok people, it took me a little while to truly accept and even find my normal hair texture. Between coloring my hair and heat damage in the past there was not a truly defined curl pattern in sight. But once I grew ALL of my color out, got a proper cut, and stopped getting my hair straightened by individuals that didn’t care about my natural curls, I finally saw what it could do. And this product actually revealed even more of curls and S-patterns in my fro! It is a great definer for $9.99.
4. Shea Moisture- The holy grail, in my opinion, of affordable and mostly natural ingredients of hair care products. Anyone that has ever asked me what products I use will most certainly here me rattle off this name first. And there is no specific one I can point out because it truly depends on your texture or hair type. I use the Coconut & Hibiscus collection, the Jamaican Black Castor Oil Collection, and the African Black Soap Collection most frequently. But moreso because those match the needs of my hair. The products in these collections can range from $8.99 to $12.99 respecfully.
5. Posh Glam Collection – I had to include this brand because it’s not often that I get my hair straightened, but when I do, I do my best to get in the chair of Janeese Murphy, the hair stylist and creator of the Posh Glam Collection. The Glitz Mist and Platinum Polished Protectant gave my hair the silky straight look with one pass of the flat iron! Which means less opportunity for heat damage! And my curls returned effortlessly the next time I washed my hair. Product pricing available upon inquiry.